Tuesday, May 7, 2013

BMO Marathon


This weekend I ran in the BMO Vancouver Marathon with Troy… my fiancé. Imagine!



We had a great day! Not only was the weather beautiful and sunny, but considering that neither of us had really trained for running 42km, we were pretty content with just finishing under 4 hours.

Well, at least I was.

The first 21k actually felt really good- my legs, body and lungs were all fine. The last half was more challenging. I made an epic mistake of tying my shoes too tight which resulted in major pain and bruising for the last 18 km, and on top of that, running a marathon without really preparing is hard on the body- I mean, I know that sounds totally obvious, but I just want to be clear that I wouldn’t advise taking on an event this way.



Troy and I could both feel it BIG time later that evening and also today.  

But the best thing about actually running a marathon is seeing all the other people who show up to run with you. Seriously, if you think you don’t have the body type etc to complete a longer race (or any race for that matter), just turn up at the start line of any marathon, ½ marathon or 10k.
There are no rules… I even got passed by women and men clearly 1) older than me (like I am talking senior citizen) and 2) physically larger than me. It is humbling to say the least and makes me proud to be a participant in a sport that is accessible to so many people.

Good job Vancouver!
Good job husband ;) 
3hrs 55 mins

No comments:

Post a Comment